Learn about the role of human resources, and explore strategies and techniques that can help HR business partners become more effective in their roles, and help business leaders understand how to best partner with the HR function.
- What words come to mind when you think of the human resources function at your company? Do the terms strategic partner or trusted advisor stand out? At most companies, probably not, but this course is all about helping you to move in that direction. My name is Michael McLernon and I am an HR business partner at LinkedIn. I've spent my career working as an external consultant focused on making HR more effective, and led an internal reward function. Now I spend my days ensuring our talent strategy and programs support the needs of the business.
In this course, I want to give you a clear understanding of the purpose of an HR business partner, and the skills needed to be successful in the role. We'll want to walk through the best ways to engage with your client group on key talent initiatives. I'll wrap it up by talking about how to adapt and assess your efforts to make sure you're meeting the needs of the organization. If you're new to the role, or even if you're a leader working with an HR business partner, this course is designed with you in mind. So thanks for joining, and let's get started.
Instructor Michael McLernon discusses the function of HR within an organization, and the skills needed to be successful as an HR business partner, regardless of company size or structure. In addition, he goes over the primary role of an HR business partner, highlighting specific areas where this role can add value to a business. Michael also covers how to engage with leaders, managers, and employees on key talent initiatives such as organization design, performance management, and employee engagement. Finally, he shows how to assess the impact of your efforts, and modify your approach as your organization—or the scope of your role—changes.
- Serving your clients
- Establishing credibility and trust
- Areas of focus for an HR business partner
- Facilitating organizational change
- Supporting talent decision processes
- Training and empowering managers
- Scaling and assessing your efforts
- Partnering internally
- Measuring your impact
- Tailoring your approach