All types of jobs use statistics. Learn the most common statistics, including mean, median, standard deviation, probability and more, in these beginner-level statistics lessons.
- In our modern society we've all become addicted to numbers, even those that say they hate math. What's their first move every morning? They grab their phone. Check the time and temperature, numbers. Numbers tell us how fast to move, how warm to dress. They help us decide where to invest our money. Numbers can motivate us to act, and that's just when the numbers are given to us. If you have the power to organize large pools of data, you have the ability to discover trends, prove yourself right, or maybe prove others wrong.
This is the power of statistics. Whether you're a manager or a designer, whether you're in business, science, sports or education, whether you're trying to save time, money or any other valuable resource, understanding statistics is vital if you wanna be more effective and efficient. Hi there, my name is Eddie Davila and I'm a university instructor with degrees in business and engineering. I write ebooks and of course I develop other online educational content.
I'm a huge sports fan, I love to follow the entertainment industry and I'm passionate about science and health, and I can tell you that in every important facet of my life having a better understanding of statistics allows me to improve my performance and often to find a greater level of satisfaction whether I'm working or playing. This course, Statistics Fundamentals, is the first of a three part series that I'm hoping will empower you to better understand the numbers you will encounter in your life.
In this course we'll discuss basic terms like mean, median and standard deviation. We'll look at many different forms of probability. We'll explore the power of the bell shaped normal distribution curve. We'll discuss issues like false positives, and expected monetary value, and I'll tell you even if you know what all these things are, I think you'll walk away with a new prospective. Actually I'm hoping you'll never look at these basic concepts the same way again.
You won't just understand what these numbers are and how they're calculated, you'll know their inherent weakness too. So, welcome to Statistics Fundamentals.
Professor Eddie Davila covers statistics basics, like calculating averages, medians, modes, and standard deviations. He shows how to use probability and distribution curves to inform decisions, and how to detect false positives and misleading data. Each concept is covered in simple language, with detailed examples that show how statistics are used in real-world scenarios from the worlds of business, sports, education, entertainment, and more. These techniques will help you understand your data, prove theories, and save time, money, and other valuable resources—all by understanding the numbers.
- <b>Learning Objectives</b>Why statistics matter
- Evaluating your data sets
- Finding means, medians, and modes
- Calculating standard deviation
- Measuring distribution and relative position
- Understanding probability and multiple-event probability
- Describing permutations: the order of things
- Calculating discrete and continuous probability distributions