In this short course, author and executive trainer Mike Figliuolo teaches you how to solve business problems using a repeatable process.
- Do you have a business problem? One that's really frustrating? Really challenging and confusing? Maybe you're pulling your hair out because you know it's such a big deal and you just can't make progress on it? In this course, I'd like to offer a five step problem solving process that's really straightforward and really simple. First, I'll show you how you can define the problem very clearly and then break that problem down into its component parts so you're solving for the root cause and not just solving a symptom.
Next, I'll cover how you can generate an initial set of ideas and answers, as well as how you can figure out what analysis you need to do to prove your case. And finally, I'll cover how you can take those analyses and create a clear and compelling recommendation to solve your business challenge. This process works. It's the same process that's used by major consulting firms around the world. I've personally used this process at multibillion dollar corporations to solve some of the most challenging problems that I've run up against.
And when I'm disciplined about it and rigorous about following the five steps, I've always gotten to a clear, concise, and compelling recommendation. So let's get started.
- Explore strategies for defining your business problem.
- Recall how to keep a problem well defined using logic maps.
- Recognize how to use a 2x2 matrix to prioritize solutions.
- Review the meaning of assertions and how they related to recommended actions.
- Identify the most common problem-solving pitfalls.