If you're not careful, pricing actions you take can cause many issues. Overusing discounts, not maintaining pricing integrity, and using at-risk fee structures can complicate your client relationships and reduce your profitability. Be sure you understand the implications of discounts and "at risk" or contingent/success fee-based arrangements.
- Once you've defined your pricing model,…there are some simple pricing strategies…that can make you more profitable…and help you avoid issues.…Pricing consistency is important.…Clients are going to cross-check.…I worked with one client where I did some work…at a discounted rate.…A year later I was back at the same client,…pitching a new piece of work.…I sent them my pricing and the client said,…"Those aren't your rates."…I said, "Yeah, they're our rates."…He said, "No, you did this rate for this other department…"last year."…They checked.…
I had a problem.…I could either say now these are my rates…or I could offer the old rate.…I ended up offering the old rate.…It cost me money.…I learned that I will be consistent from there forward.…By the way, people change employers…so understand that if you offer a rate at one company…and then that client takes you to a new company,…you're probably going to have to offer the same rate.…Be consistent in your pricing.…Be judicious about discounts.…Always list the full price in the agreement…
- Working as a consultant
- Generating revenue as a consultant
- Cost structures, pricing, finances, and taxes
- Marketing and selling consulting services
- Negotiating and contracting
- Working with clients
- Presenting findings to clients
- Implementing recommendations
- Managing legal issues
- Insuring a business
- Getting licensed and certified
Skill Level Beginner
Understanding Intellectual Propertywith Dana Robinson1h 31m Appropriate for all
1. Define Your Consulting Business
2. Marketing and Selling
3. Contract and Protect Yourself
4. Run the Consulting Engagement
5. Handle Administration
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.