Join Todd Dewett for an in-depth discussion in this video Using bureaucracy effectively, part of Managing for Results.
- Bureaucracy is one of the necessary evils…in organizational life that we all have to deal with.…That's the administrative body that governs…an institution by creating policies and making decisions.…In most organizations, this includes the Board of Directors,…the leadership team, human resources,…the legal department and other related groups.…The goal of the bureaucrats is simple,…to create rules that help the organization…experience order instead of chaos.…Thanks to bureaucracy, the company can have…a clear division of labor, a reliable chain of command…and an objective system of policies that guide all…major types of company activities and personal behaviors.…
Of course, a little goes a long way.…The down side of bureaucracy is also well-known…and includes excessive meetings and paperwork,…slower decision making and an increased aversion to risk,…which aren't qualities that support change and innovation.…Listen carefully.…Making fast decisions means that sometimes…you won't fully satisfy the bureaucracy.…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Identify multiple strategies for managing with results in mind.
- Explore the strengths and weaknesses of visual management.
- Recognize the key factors in building a transparent meritocracy.
- Identify methods for tuning and optimizing management processes to improve efficiency.
- Review the challenges of rapid decision making.
- List the essential elements of a post-hoc analysis.