Join Mike Figliuolo for an in-depth discussion in this video Using the SWOT analysis, part of Strategic Planning Foundations.
- Once you've conducted your SWOT analysis,…it's time to refine it.…You should be looking to synthesize ideas and look for…major themes that emerge from the SWOT analysis.…What I recommend when you do this is first,…let's eliminate things that aren't going to be…major strategic themes.…So looking at our SWOT, we might say that plant safety,…while it's important, is not a major strategic theme.…Nor is, expense reporting or IT desktop support.…
They're important, but they're not strategic.…We look down and say couponing isn't that big of a deal.…And, in our Threats, we say Ohio weather,…while it's important, it's only 2% of our market.…So now we've shortened the list that we can look at…to identify major strategic themes.…As we look at our themes and we look at the items…across the entire SWOT,…perhaps we notice that we have strengths in brands…and supply chain and sales force.…
And then we look over and say well, we have some problems…in our digital marketing program.…There's huge social media growth.…And the economy is a risk.…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Define the principles of strategic planning.
- Identify forces used to assess the market.
- Explain how to conduct a SWOT analysis.
- Articulate how to establish guiding principles and set goals.
- Explain what strategic filters are used for.
- Describe the steps of a strategic planning process.
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Before You Begin Planning
2. Defining the Strategic Environment
3. Setting Your Strategic Direction
4. Determining How You'll Compete
5. Evaluating and Prioritizing Opportunities
6. Assessing Your Initiative Portfolio
Using a 2x2 matrix2m 56s
7. Organizing for Success
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.