Join Jonah Berger for an in-depth discussion in this video Using the Rule of 100, part of Jonah Berger on Viral Marketing.
…Another way to apply practical value, is to…use something I'll call the rule of 100.…As we talked about practical value is all about useful information.…And one type of useful information is a discount.…We see all types of discounts all the time,…50% off this, 60% off that, half off this.…Groupon made a whole business model around discounts, getting…people really excited about 75% off cuisines they've never tried.…You see yourself…driving 90 minutes to a Kazakhstani restaurant and you wonder…why you went there, it's probably because there was a…Groupon for a seemingly great deal that made you think…it was just something you had to take advantage of.…
But are there more effective ways to frame discounts?…You don't want to discount if you don't have…to, but how can you use discounts more effectively?…Well some research has shown that even saying something…is on sale, even if its not actually on…sale, without changing the price, is one thing that…drives people to action, but the rule of 10…is another.…So say you're selling a product that's, I don't know, 20 or $30.…
- Summarize the advantages of word-of-mouth advertising.
- Identify the six STEPPS to getting people to share.
- Explain the effects of a trigger.
- Describe the function of social proof.
- Recall the most effective strategies for spreading a marketing message.
- Recognize two components in a story meant to help spread a business message.