Join Simon T. Bailey for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding your executives, part of Building Business Relationships.
- View Offline
Executives spend their time in and out of meetings dealing with…budgetary issues and interacting with several individuals on a daily basis.…With a parade of people coming and going…through their doors, how will you stand out?…Your approach with executives is critical in building a bridge from where you are in…the organization to where you want to be. And it starts with understanding…the rules of engagement. One, do not be afraid of the executive.…
They are people, just like you.…Two, executives lay the path that you will eventually walk on.…And building a relationship allows you to get to…know them, recognize them, and understand your career possibilities.…Three, understand that executives earn…their position through hard work, contacts, and producing results.…If you walk in their shoes one day, you will lay the path for someone else.…
And the fourth and last, always remember that…executives will shape your career with or without you.…Get involved with them so your career can become what…you want it to be, not what they want by default.…
Discover how you can build meaningful rapport, set yourself up for visibility and success, manage up when you don't click, develop executive presence, and cross-train within a team to better serve the organization.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Understanding the four key business relationships
- Building relationships in person and virtually
- Supporting your manager's objectives
- Articulating your needs to your manager
- Managing up
- Communicating with difficult team members
- Resolving cross-department conflict
- Identifying mentors and sponsors
- Making first impressions with executives<br><br>
- The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.