Join Mike Figliuolo for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding strategic filters, part of Strategic Planning Foundations.
- Being able to evaluate the initiatives you're going…to pursue as part of your strategic plan…is at the core of the strategic planning process.…You need to be able to identify…what the high priority initiatives are…and what the low priority initiatives are,…and to do so you need a common set of criteria…that everyone across the organization…is going to use to conduct those evaluations.…I call them strategic filters,…those filters are going to be things…that are important to your organization.…
Things like, this idea meets a customer need,…or it helps us be differentiated versus our competition,…or it has an acceptable level of complexity.…Sometimes your filters aren't…qualitative they're quantitative,…so what's the net present value of this initiative?…What's the financial return?…What's the return on investment?…By articulating this set of criteria…you're going to have a common lens…to evaluate your initiatives through.…Those filters are going to screen out initiatives…that aren't consistent with the stated…direction of the organization,…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Avoiding strategic planning risks
- Assessing the market
- Conducting a SWOT analysis
- Defining your direction, mission, and vision
- Determining core competencies
- Evaluating and prioritizing opportunities
- Assessing your initiatives
- Organizing for success
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Before You Begin Planning
2. Defining the Strategic Environment
3. Setting Your Strategic Direction
4. Determining How You'll Compete
5. Evaluating and Prioritizing Opportunities
6. Assessing Your Initiative Portfolio
Using a 2x2 matrix2m 56s
7. Organizing for Success
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.