Join Dana Robinson for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding software licenses, part of Understanding Copyright: A Deeper Dive.
- Now, I've talked about how copyrights arise,…and how copyrights can be transferred.…Let's talk about a very common scenario involving copyrights…and licensing that many people don't understand.…Back before the Internet, when someone owned software,…they would create that software, copyright it,…and then offer to let people buy copies of it on CD.…When the software owner sold a copy of the CD…to you as the consumer,…they were granting you the right to use the software.…
In other words, you accepted the terms of license…
DISCLAIMER: This course is taught by an attorney and addresses US law concepts that may not apply in all countries. Neither LInkedIn nor the attorney teaching the course represents you and they are not giving legal advice. The information conveyed through this course is akin to a college or law school course; it is not intended to give legal advice, but instead to communicate basic information to help viewers understand the basics of intellectual property.
- Explain why you should file for copyright certification.
- Determine what course of action will guarantee the end of infringement?
- Relate copyright to the purchase of software.
- Define public domain.
- List what you need to send the Copyright Office for copyright certification.