Join Todd Dewett for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding how competency models fit in, part of Performance Review Foundations.
…At their core, competency models are attempts…to identify and leverage the most important…knowledge, skills, and traits that are linked…to productivity and success in a given environment.…So for example, a leadership competency model might contain things such as…staffing and leading a team, effective…conflict management, or creative problem solving.…The list of skills and traits are…typically shorter than longer, maybe containing five to…15 elements. There's no perfect number.…The real goal is to accurately model…the elements of success for a given environment.…
If we assume that you can identify this list of things that…one should possess, well there are many ways we can use that list.…They're now used to attract and hire new employees, to create effective…training and development experiences, as a…vetting instrument when promotion decisions are…being made, and of course, they're used as…a core part of the employee evaluation process.…There are many benefits associated with using competency models.…These include: providing a summary of the experience…
- Describe why performance reviews are important.
- Explain why a manager might use informal feedback.
- Recognize when it’s important to have a witness present during an evaluation.
- Cite the benefits of performance improvement plans.
- Identify the primary goal of managing performance throughout the year.
- Describe when it’s time to discuss possible role changes for an employee.
- Explain the 360 review process.
- Cite ways to set expectations for a performance review meeting.
Skill Level Intermediate
Managing Employee Performance Problems (2013)with Todd Dewett1h 53m Intermediate
1. Overview of Performance Management
2. Setting Goals with Employees
3. Gathering Feedback on Performance
4. Writing the Review
5. Delivering the Review
6. Taking Next Steps
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.