Before you start building your team, Izzy Gesell explains how to examine your leadership style and offers some tips to strengthen your skills.
- Before we get into the nuts and bolts of team building,…let's look at how and why it's important for you…to understand the role your personality…and leadership style…have on the overall success of the team.…It goes without saying that as a leader,…your behavior and demeanor will be judged…so it's helpful for you to understand…how you appear to others or how you show up.…Knowing how you show up to your team…is as crucial to success…as knowing what to do with the team.…
This reminds me of Joan,…a participant in one of my workshops on leadership.…She had never realized that the way she showed up…affected her team's morale.…During the debrief of a team building activity,…she evaluated herself as a poor teammate…because she didn't respond quickly…when it was her turn to perform,…reminded that this was an untimed activity…and speed of reply was not a factor.…She said, "I heard that but didn't believe it…"because nothing in my life is without a time pressure."…As she spoke, her eyes widened…and a realization came to her.…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Identify the keys to success as a team leader.
- Explore management interactions commonly needed during the four team development stages.
- Recall the meaning of continuous improvement and what drives the process.
- Review the do's and don't of creating a team mission statement.
- Review how to use roles effectively during team meetings.
- Explore how to best use consensus strategies like thumbs up/down/sideways.