LinkedIn principal author Doug Winnie describes how different industries have an impact on product management. Some industries are required by law to conform to rules and regulations that can place limits on changes that you might want to make to a product. With software, changes in direction, or pivots, are more possible since there is far less physical manufacturing required that could impede your ability to change.
- While there are tons of different types of products,…these products are all part of various industries.…Let's look at how product management can greatly vary…between different industries.…Take the automotive industry.…In the world of making cars and trucks…there is the vehicle itself…that needs to have the components created,…assembled, marketed, and sold.…And to ensure that things are consistent,…the automotive industry is highly regulated.…For example, there are icons and symbols…that are consistent across any vehicle,…like the hazard button.…
There is safety regulations that require…that cars have airbags and seat belts.…There are environmental regulations to ensure…that harmful emissions are reduced.…Each of these regulations impacts…on how product management works.…With each change in the regulations…you have to make sure you're able to comply,…which can take time away from adding new features…or capabilities you want to provide to your customers.…For a car, you have to know from the beginning…how everything will fit and work together.…
- Types of products and industries
- Leading through influence
- Understanding your team
- Using an agile or waterfall development cycle
- Managing your product life cycle
- Researching your market, customers, and ideas
- Planning the product
- Building the product
- Releasing the product
- Refining the product
- Understanding when it's time to retire the product
Skill Level Beginner
1. What is Product Management?
2. What Does a Product Manager Do?
When it is time to retire2m 58s
Next steps1m 19s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.