Join Paul Nowak for an in-depth discussion in this video Tips for reading magazine articles, part of Speed Reading Fundamentals.
- Magazine articles can be read more effectively…by utilizing the multiple reading process,…which was discussed earlier in this course.…To review, the multiple reading process…is a three step process that involves…a preview, an overview, and a read.…Let's talk about how we can apply this…to a magazine article.…For the first step, your preview, you would read…the introduction and conclusion to the article.…If your article is short, say ten paragraphs or so,…you would simply read the first…and last paragraph of the article.…For the second step, the overview,…you would read all the headings…and first sentences of paragraphs in the article.…
The first sentence of a paragraph is usually…the topic sentence or main idea.…By reading all these main points,…and all the headings, you'll have a strong…understanding of what the article is about,…and this is the very point where you…need to decide whether or not the article…is worth your time.…Always be aware of your purpose when reading.…If you just need to know the article generally,…
The course then focuses on improving comprehension by understanding how memory works, practicing the "read and recall" method, and breaking down technical terms. The final chapter introduces some advanced tips and strategies for reading different types of media: news and magazine articles, textbooks, technical material, and ebooks.
- Measuring your reading speed
- Reading faster on the computer
- Reading groups of words
- Previewing and overviewing
- Improving comprehension and retention
- Understanding the 80/20 principle of reading
- Reading magazines, textbooks, diagrams, and ebooks