Learn the three critical mistakes organizations make when developing managers. Plus, see what you can do to avoid these management development mistakes.
- I have helped many organizations develop their managers…which has given me a front row seat…to mistakes companies make when it comes…to developing managers.…Here's what I've observed and what you can do…to steer clear of a similar fate.…The first mistake I've seen is…what I call one dimensional development.…This is where every program is delivered in the same format…which usually defaults to classroom training.…That may have worked in the 80s, when the majority…of workers actually worked in offices.…
However, this approach doesn't work well today…for a number of reasons.…Here's why.…We've got five generations in the workplace.…With each generation appearing…to have their own preferred style of learning.…For example, millennials who rely on YouTube…like my generation used to rely on encyclopedias,…are accustomed to learning real time…in the palm of their hand.…Whereas many baby boomers tend to enjoy face to face…or hands on learning.…
Then we have the issue regarding…where employees are located.…Today most companies have remote team members.…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- What makes a manager effective?
- What managers seek from their employers
- Coaching versus mentoring
- Determining whether to use internal or external resources
- Helping managers take control of their learning
- Creating a management training strategy
- Measuring the effectiveness of your program
- Avoiding common management development mistakes