Join Lisa Gates for an in-depth discussion in this video Team sourcing and influence interviews, part of Coaching and Developing Employees (2013).
I'm going to change things up a bit and give you two more feedback ideas that can …be easily integrated into your everyday work life and your coaching time with employees. …So, what do you think it would be like to ask someone what they really think of you …personally, professionally? I call this an Influence Interview. …The Influence Interview is when you intentionally seek out people who really …know you, like your family, friends, and colleagues, and the goal is to find out …how they perceive you: what you do well, and what you need to work on.…
The Influence Interview is an advanced technique, and it's not for everyone. …But stay with me. Although this exercise can be scary, it's …powerful and can really be a game-changer in how you work with each other and how …you connect and how you solve problems. A little tip here. …Your employee needs to reassure the people they interview that they won't be …rebutting or defending. They're simply taking it all in. …To keep things simple and straight forward ask your employee to conduct the …
- Establish a coaching relationship with your employees.
- Demonstrate the cornerstones of coaching.
- List examples of "PowerTalk Practice".
- Describe how to challenge your employees for growth.
- Identify how to manage accountability and give future-focused feedback.
- Align professional goals with company objectives.
- Design stretch opportunities.