If there’s one piece of advice you take away about resumes and cover letters, it should be this: You have to tailor each one to each job. Get insight into why you need to customize your resume for every job application and how you can find the right tone.
- If there's one piece of advice you take away…about resumes and cover letters it should be this.…You have to tailor each one to each job.…Cookie cutter resumes you dash off…and expect to get calls from are really a thing of the past.…Tweak each cover and each resume you send…to populate keywords from that job posting…and mix with a company's mission and vision.…This means you're going to need to be really tidy…with file naming conventions on your computer…so that the resume you send, say,…to Facebook doesn't get confused…with the one you send to Microsoft.…
Something like Jolie Miller resume dash month…and the company name is a really good way to go,…and that way you can always look back…and see what information the company has from you.…You won't have to guess.…In the substance of the documents,…show you've done your homework and that you put time…into the submission, just like you're going to put the time…to be thorough when you actually are working there.…Update the wins you include to show relevant experience…
Looking for study partners?Join the Interview Tips study group
Ready to find your next job? Learn how to prepare yourself for today's job market and land a gig that you'll love. Jolie Miller shows how to create a great job hunting plan that connects you with opportunities that mesh with your interests and goals. Jolie explains how to present yourself to employers in the best light with a well-designed LinkedIn profile, resume, and cover letter. She explores how to tailor your experience for each job and for any special situations, such as layoffs, reentering the workforce, or switching roles or industries. Plus, she shares quick tips that can help you make a great first—and lasting—impression in your interviews, negotiate an offer you're proud of, and prepare for your first day at your new job.
- Setting job hunting objectives
- Writing a compelling resume and cover letter
- Tailoring your approach
- Finding the right jobs
- Reentering the workforce
- Identifying which of your skills are transferable
- Excelling in a phone or video interview
- Negotiating a job offer