Join Todd Dewett for an in-depth discussion in this video Tackling tough phrasing, part of Performance Review Foundations.
…We all know that employees need feedback.…Generally speaking, they want to know how they're doing,…and whether or not they're meeting the bosses expectations.…Bosses love to give feedback, when it's positive and affirming.…It's far more challenging, however, when the feedback is difficult or critical.…And there's no time this is more…true than when you're delivering an employee evaluation.…This formal discussion will challenge your communication skills like few…other situations.…In this conversation you had the chance to add clarity and motivation.…
But you also run the risk of creating conflict and hurt feelings.…You can't control how the other person will react to what you have to say.…But you can seriously reduce the likelihood of negativity…by choosing your words carefully, and delivering them effectively.…The old saying, It's not what you say, but how you say it, is actually wrong.…What you say matters a lot, that's why to…get to this point, you've done so much homework.…In addition, how you say what you say, is also very important.…
- Describe why performance reviews are important.
- Explain why a manager might use informal feedback.
- Recognize when it’s important to have a witness present during an evaluation.
- Cite the benefits of performance improvement plans.
- Identify the primary goal of managing performance throughout the year.
- Describe when it’s time to discuss possible role changes for an employee.
- Explain the 360 review process.
- Cite ways to set expectations for a performance review meeting.
Skill Level Intermediate
Managing Employee Performance Problems (2013)with Todd Dewett1h 53m Intermediate
1. Overview of Performance Management
2. Setting Goals with Employees
3. Gathering Feedback on Performance
4. Writing the Review
5. Delivering the Review
6. Taking Next Steps
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.