Join Doug Rose for an in-depth discussion in this video Staying agile with the "scrum master", part of Agile at Work: Building Your Agile Team.
- Few roles are as misunderstood as the agile ScrumMaster.…Many organizations look to them as their senior managers…responsible to the agile team.…They see them as a throat to choke…if things go wrong with the project.…An agile team is self-organized,…so thinking of the ScrumMaster as a manager…removes the shared responsibility from the team.…It's important to remember that the role is responsible…for managing the agile framework and not the team.…They administer the project, create reports,…eliminate obstacles, and remove distractions.…
But names matter.…And any role with "master" in the title is almost certain…to inherit some management responsibility.…That means that ScrumMasters are often placed…in an awkward position of trying to reduce…their own scope of authority.…A good ScrumMaster stands behind the team…and not in front of them.…They have to stay in the background to ensure…the team is self-organizing.…I once worked for a project where the senior managers…simply changed their title to ScrumMasters…when they started agile.…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Starting agile in your organization
- Defining team roles and responsibilities
- Letting the team self-organize
- Training the team
- Thinking and delivering like an agile team
- Avoiding pitfalls