Join John Ullmen for an in-depth discussion in this video Start where they are, not where you wish they would be, part of Influencing Others.
…If you flew to an unfamiliar city where an old…friend lives, and called them from the airport to ask directions…to their place, what if they said, sure, start at my…front door, then knock on it and I'll let you in.…Clear to them, but not very helpful to you.…The directions need to start from where you are,…not from where they want you to end up.…It's similar with influence.…To influence someone better and faster, start where they actually are.…In their thoughts, feelings and behavior patterns.…Not where you wish they would be.…You need to immerse yourself in their perspective.…
To do it, let's look at three key success factors.…One, their objectives relative to yours.…Two, their perceived relationship with you.…And three, their operating style.…First, their objectives relative to yours.…The key thing is, what do they likely think about your influence objective?…Are they for it or against it?…Strongly or moderately?…Why might they support it?…How does it connect with something that they want?…And this next one is crucially important.…
- Name a feeling that might inhibit you from inspiration-based influence.
- Explain how to most appropriately balance short-term and long-term results.
- Assess why “pains and gains” is a powerful motivator.
- List the steps of the advice influence technique.
- Identify the first thing you do when using social proof.
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Mindset and Habits for Influence
2. Influence Techniques
The power of gratitude1m 29s
1. What the Best Influencers Do Before They Influence
2. How to Choose the Best Influence Methods for Your Situation
3. How to Make Your Influence Welcomed and Wanted
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.