Join Doug Rose for an in-depth discussion in this video Start out with descriptive statistics, part of Understanding Data Science.
- View Offline
- Data science teams will spend most of their time…collecting, scrubbing, and storing data.…Then they use the data to ask interesting questions.…They create reports using statistics…and math to see if they get some new insights.…Statistics is a very interesting field.…To participate in a data science team,…you'll need some basic understanding of the language.…One thing to remember is that statistics are tools…that help tell a story.…But they're not, in themselves, the end of the story.…The best way to tell how much of a story you're not getting,…is by pushing back when things don't seem right.…
My son once told me a great joke about this.…It shows how teams can use statistics to tell stories.…He started out by saying, "Do you know why…"you don't ever see elephants hiding in trees?"…I shrugged and said, no.…He said, "Because they're really good at it."…Try to remember this joke when you look at your reports.…People usually think of statistics as concrete mathematics.…Who would question whether or not two plus two equals four?…
- What is data science?
- Making connections with relationship databases
- Importing data into warehouses
- Recognizing different data types
- Applying statistical analysis
- Focusing on knowledge