If they offer to split the difference, the answer should be, "No, I wish I could but I just can't." They will then say, "OK then, just thought I'd ask." This is because when they offer to split the difference, they have already given up and are just trying it on one more time. If they then say, "Right then, the whole deal's off then," offer to split the difference of the difference. After all, splitting the difference is really only just another offer.
- [Instructor] One of the commonest negotiating phrases…is split the difference.…And I would like to say that you are allowed to say it.…You can give it a go, and it'll probably work,…but don't let anyone say it to you, and get you to do it.…I'll explain why.…As always, we have buying and selling,…which are the same, really, just opposite sides…of the same coin.…So, let's say, in this situation, that you're buying.…So, you're offering, say, $800 for a $1,200 sofa.…Maybe your first offer was 600, and you've…come up to 800.…
And the sofa seller has come down from 1200,…and is now on 850.…And then, he or she says, "How 'about…"splitting the difference, say, 825?"…It's tempting to accept it, particularly since they've…come down a lot.…And let's assume that you love the sofa,…you can easily afford it, it's the last one they've got,…and you really don't want to lose it.…But no, you mustn't.…You must say, "Thanks, but I just can't, I really can't…"go over $800, my wife would kill me,"…or husband, or boss, or bank manager.…
- Why we avoid negotiating
- When you should think about negotiating
- Planning your negotiation
- Calculating your opening offer
- Leveraging different negotiation tactics
- How to trade
- Determining if you should walk away
Skill Level Beginner
Negotiating Your Leadership Successwith Elizabeth Robillard1h 20m Intermediate
1. Decide to Negotiate
2. Planning Your Negotiation
3. Opening Offers
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.