Join Paul Nowak for an in-depth discussion in this video Simple drills you can practice to boost reading speed, part of Learning Speed Reading.
- Let's talk about how you can start…improving your reading speed.…In this video, we'll cover a very basic speed reading…drill that will help boost your reading rate.…This exercise can be done on paper…or digitally, it's completely up to you.…I suggest you use material that you normally have to read.…Whether it's for school, work, or personal reading.…In this drill we'll be reading for 20 minutes so make sure…you have enough reading material for that amount of time.…Here's how the drill works:…You'll start by reading for 20 minutes.…During this time you'll want to make sure you're…reading with the goal of strong comprehension.…
Don't go too fast or too slow.…Read at whatever speed feels comfortable.…After reading for 20 minutes, you'll want to…mark the place where you stopped.…The goal of this drill is to purposely go…faster than we would normally read.…How are we gonna do that?…Well, we're simply going to re-read the…material we just went through, but we're going…to do it at double the reading speed.…So in the first step, you read for 20 minutes and then…
The course then focuses on improving comprehension by understanding how memory works, practicing the "read and recall" method, and breaking down technical terms. The final chapter introduces some advanced tips and strategies for reading different types of media: news and magazine articles, textbooks, technical material, and ebooks.
- Measuring your reading speed
- Reading faster on the computer
- Reading groups of words
- Previewing and overviewing
- Improving comprehension and retention
- Understanding the 80/20 principle of reading
- Reading magazines, textbooks, diagrams, and ebooks