When is the last time you showed someone you manage that you cared about them? Our self-talk is that we care about employees, and we assume they know that as a fact. Unfortunately our inner conversations don’t matter much, only our actions do. The mistake we make, or deception, is we often fail to show people that we care. In this video Don Phin gives you some actions you can take today to show employees you care.
- Let me ask you a very important question.…When is the last time you showed somebody you manage…that you care about them?…When I ask that question in workshops, I usually…get an overwhelming silence.…You see, we have a problem, most of us are running…at 75 miles an hour all the time.…And when we run 75 miles an hour, we tend…to give people attention…only when we don't like something,…so we end up criticizing, and micromanaging,…and nitpicking.…
And you know what, we generate this engagement…in the process.…While our self talk is that we care about people,…we often fail to show it, and that's the deception.…Our self talk, our silent thoughts don't matter,…only our actions do.…We assume employees know we care about them,…but our actions don't live up to our self talk,…and that's a problem we want to fix.…Here's a simple exercise.…Every day, make it a point to show one person…that you care about them.…
That's it, just one person each day.…And if you'll commit to one person each day,…you'll see a huge difference in engagement on your team.…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Exercising discretionary effort
- Attracting engaged employees
- Assessing the fit of employees
- Making onboarding more engaging
- Learning from new employees
- Provide opportunities for career growth
- Clarifying objectives
- Measuring engagement using surveys
- Being present for employees
- Driving engagement with fun