The way to improve your speaking skills is to get feedback and then to go back to practice some more. In this video, Tatiana Kolovou gives you several ideas regarding how to get effective feedback, when you have to do it yourself.
- The way to improve your speaking skills … is to get constant feedback and go back … to practice some more. … Here a few ideas for you … listed from easiest to more complex. … Leave yourself a voicemail. … If flat intonation is your challenge, … rambling around a topic is your weakness, … using fillers and uptalk is what you notice … in your day-to-day conversations, … this recording exercise will help you. … Think of a message you need to send to a colleague. … Practice first by leaving it on your voicemail. … Listen back for improvement on this weakness … and use this technique until you or a trusted friend … hears the improvement. … Video record yourself. … All smartphones have video cameras these days. … Film yourself as you practice … or during the real time presentation. … Then, after taking a deep breath, … I know watching yourself on screen may be unnerving, … take the time to analyze it. … In fact, I want you to go far with this exercise. … I want you to watch it three times. …
- Explore how to evaluate your audience's knowledge level.
- Define audience value.
- Recall how a 'forest vs. tree' analogy compares to the audience interview and presentation design.
- Recognize what logical appeal means in a presentation setting.
- Define emotional appeal in a presentation setting.