Join Sharon Steed for an in-depth discussion in this video Sharon's path to empathy, part of Communicating with Empathy.
- I'd like to take a moment to tell you a bit more about my own personal journey towards communicating with empathy. As you can probably tell, I stutter, and stuttering has truly informed the way I approach everyday conversations for as long as I can remember. I truly did spend a very long time being pretty terrified to talk to people, so when I finally decided to face this enormous fear of verbal communication, I chose to do it in the biggest way possible, by pursuing public speaking.
In the beginning, I spoke about my experiences as a person who stutters, and then I started speaking about branding, because that's the field I was in at the time. But, time and time again, after every single talk I gave, people consistently commented on how valuable my message of empathy was, which, I'm not talking about empathy, I'm just telling my story and discussing my job.
Well, I finally took the hint, and decided that it was time to figure this whole empathy thing out. The more research I did, the more I realized that empathy truly is the cornerstone of positive and effective communication. Everything that I've believed about myself because of stuttering, like that I wasn't articulate, or that I was a terrible communicator, just simply was not true, and I had empathy to thank for those realizations.
Then, I began to think about how I could translate this beautiful message to empathy to the masses, and that's truly where my career as an empathy consultant began. Now, I spend my time helping people and teens to better communicate with each other through being more empathetic.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- What is empathy?
- How to be empathetic at work
- Practicing positive communication
- Identifying communication styles
- Approaching difficult conversations
- Practicing empathy in groups
- Fostering collaboration
- Encouraging coworkers