Join Simon T. Bailey for an in-depth discussion in this video Setting appropriate boundaries, part of Building Business Relationships.
When I was working full time for a Fortune 500…company, I started a business outside of my main job.…I would use my vacation time to work on my business.…When my boss started to notice that I was taking…time off, he asked me what I was really doing.…I was honest and I told him I was using my vacation time to work on another venture.…He appreciated that I told the truth.…However, it became the beginning of…the end for my career, because he believed…that I was no longer committed to the company.…
Reflecting on this experience, I could have said that I…was using my vacation time to handle a personal matter.…However, I crossed the boundary and paid for it.…To set appropriate boundaries with your boss, you need to determine what is…personal and what is public, and establish how you act in social settings and…on social media. Here' s some guidelines to follow.…One,…determine what is private knowledge. You want to maintain a healthy and…respectful boundary in what you share. For example, maybe your boss didn't need…
Discover how you can build meaningful rapport, set yourself up for visibility and success, manage up when you don't click, develop executive presence, and cross-train within a team to better serve the organization.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Understanding the four key business relationships
- Building relationships in person and virtually
- Supporting your manager's objectives
- Articulating your needs to your manager
- Managing up
- Communicating with difficult team members
- Resolving cross-department conflict
- Identifying mentors and sponsors
- Making first impressions with executives<br><br>
- The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.