Join Steven Brown for an in-depth discussion in this video Selecting among transportation choices, part of Logistics Foundations.
- "There can be no doubt that the transportation sector…"is the most critical sector of our economy."…Transportation accounts for 60% or more…of the total logistics cost each year.…This means that more money is spent on transportation…than is spent on warehousing,…distribution center expenses,…inventory management,…and order processing combined.…Beyond just the financial figures,…transportation is the function that connects…all the partners of your company's supply chain,…partners who are distanced by time and location.…
Transportation moves the goods from one organization…to another, right up to the end customer.…We're all familiar with the primary methods…or modes of transportation:…truck, rail, air,…water, and pipeline,…and each of these has its place…in the effective movement of goods.…Truck carriers, for example,…are usually at both ends of the transportation journey.…The first to pick up the goods…and the last to drop them off.…Clearly, it takes a good system of roads and highways…to support effective truck transport.…
These lessons will help you understand the importance of logistics and help your company prepare for efficient delivery, distribution, and inventory. Plus, get insights on the latest logistics trends.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Understanding order fulfillment
- Defining logistics
- Comparing inbound, outbound, and reverse logistics
- Key decisions: delivery, distribution, and inventory
- Coordinating the supply chain
- Trends in logistics management