Join Simon T. Bailey for an in-depth discussion in this video Seeking mentorship and stretch assignments, part of Building Business Relationships.
In my own experience, the one area I found…to be shared by successful people is having a mentor.…To grow in your career, it is important for you to seek mentorship and stretch…assignments that will improve and enhance your contribution to the organization.…Before you seek a mentor, ask yourself, what skills do I need to know and sharpen?…And how will this…benefit my team, the department and my organization?…The answer to these questions will help you find someone who has…mastered their core expertise and ensures that they align with your goals.…
Where do you find your mentor?…Seek recommendations from trusted advisors, close friends and management.…It is also safe to look outside your organization,…so you can speak freely about challenges, career aspirations…and accomplishments.…Additionally, sometimes you don't need to be mentored one to one.…Read trade journals, participate in networking groups and…follow thought leaders as further sources for your development.…
In my personal experience, my first mentor…
Discover how you can build meaningful rapport, set yourself up for visibility and success, manage up when you don't click, develop executive presence, and cross-train within a team to better serve the organization.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Understanding the four key business relationships
- Building relationships in person and virtually
- Supporting your manager's objectives
- Articulating your needs to your manager
- Managing up
- Communicating with difficult team members
- Resolving cross-department conflict
- Identifying mentors and sponsors
- Making first impressions with executives<br><br>
- The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.