Join Eddie Davila for an in-depth discussion in this video Retail layout, part of Operations Management Foundations.
- Most folks may think of retail stores…as an arm of sales and marketing.…I like to think of a place like a grocery store…as a manufacturing facility.…Really, I do.…What do they manufacture?…They manufacture a grocery experience.…At manufacturing facilities, companies develop a process.…Perhaps it might be an assembly line,…then they run materials through the process…to create a finished good.…In a grocery store, the store layout…is the assembly line, and customers,…they're the material.…
If we're successful, they become a finished good.…They will, hopefully, become a satisfied grocery shopper…that spent their money in the store,…on the things they needed,…and the things we wanted them to buy.…Don't believe me?…Let's run through a grocery shopping experience.…Here's the typical grocery store layout…in the United States.…We'll enter near the door that has the carts.…Typically, the first thing we see, near the main entrance,…are fruits and vegetables.…Why?…They, typically, are the number one reason…people shop at that store.…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Understanding operations management
- Making key inventory decisions
- Balancing holding costs and ordering costs
- Choosing a production strategy and facility layout
- Managing waiting-line systems
- Defining quality and improving quality
- Managing business processes
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Project Management Foundations: Procurementwith Bob McGannon1h 24m Appropriate for all
Project Management Foundations: Qualitywith Bob McGannon1h 22m Appropriate for all
1. Introduction to Operations
2. Managing Inventory
3. Managing Production of Products and Services
4. Managing Waiting Lines
5. Managing Quality
6. Operations at the Office
Wrap up2m 52s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.