This course refers to the Project Management Institute (PMI)®. PMI is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- View Offline
- I've discussed the Project Management Institute,…or PMI, code of ethics throughout this course.…There's one area however that I've yet to discuss,…and it relates to the ethical value of responsibility.…That's PMIs mandatory standard related to reporting…of ethical standards violations.…Here are two quotes from the…responsibility mandatory standard.…First, "We report unethical or illegal conduct…"to appropriate management and, if necessary,…"to those affected by the conduct."…Second, PMI provides us with a mandate for that reporting…with this standard statement,…"We only file ethics complaints…"when they are substantiated by facts."…So, the PMI code of ethics places a requirement…on project managers to report any behaviors…that violate ethical standards of PMI,…your company, or legal standards.…
This mandatory standard can be viewed quite negatively,…it can place us in the role of snitch,…telling the authorities when others do something wrong.…I view this differently however.…I use this thought process when considering a report…
BONUS: In the bonus chapter, Bob answers seven questions about specific ethical dilemmas: sharing information, resolving conflicts over standards, communicating with stakeholders, reporting project status honestly, and more.
- Demonstrating responsibility
- Showing respect
- Operating with fairness
- Behaving with honesty
- Understanding mandatory, aspirational, and personal ethical standards
- Reviewing ethical situations in project management
- Reporting ethical problems