In this video Angela shares what product backlog refinement is all about and the importance of doing backlog refinement on a regular basis. Learn how it helps with team cadence, and how it is connected to the product vision, roadmap, and the release plan. She also explains how to do backlog refinement, what it entails, and what a well refined product backlog looks like.
- Refining the backlog is an ongoing focus…of the product owner and a hefty task…that requires daily attention.…It involves continually estimating, analyzing,…prioritizing, and breaking down stories,…in order to ensure the upcoming sprints…have what the team needs to keep delivering.…The backlog is a funnel-shaped list of stories…with features that are prioritized and aligned…to the product vision, roadmap, and release plan.…
Some backlog refining is done in a formal meeting…called a product backlog refining session,…or also called a backlog refinement meeting.…Here, the team gets together to discuss backlog items,…context, and continue to review the backlog.…The goal is to make sure that the team has a queue of work…ready to go at the right levels of detail.…The team looks at the short, medium,…and long-term views of the product.…
Backlog refining meetings should be happening…every couple of weeks.…The product owner also works alone at times…to analyze and prepare for this collaborative meeting.…Part of backlog refining is to review incoming stories…
- Identify the goals of a product owner on an agile team.
- Explore the essentials of an agile roadmap.
- Examine the elements of an agile planning overview.
- Identify key agile product owner competencies.
- Recognize the fundamentals of the experimenting and prototyping phase of agile planning.
- Discover common myths of agile product ownership.