Join Judy Steiner-Williams for an in-depth discussion in this video Recognizing when to delay the main message, part of Business Writing Strategies.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- Did you ever fail a test…or didn't pass a certification requirement…and had to share that news with someone?…Have you ever had a fender bender…and you had to tell a family member?…Or wanted to convince someone to help you…with you home landscaping chore?…Although exceptions always exist,…I have a feeling that you didn't…loudly announce these events.…You probably didn't send an email with this opening,…HEY GUESS WHAT... I DIDN'T PASS MY CERTIFICATION TEST…THAT I'VE BEEN STUDYING FOR THE ENTIRE LAST YEAR!!…Or rush in the door and loudly announced,…HEY HONEY YOU SHOULD SEE THE BIG DENT…I JUST PUT IN OUR CAR!!…Or that volunteer you need.…
How likely would you be to get a volunteer…with an email that opens with,…I know how busy you are but will you come over tomorrow…in the 90 degree temps and help me plant…some trees and trim some bushes?…More likely you would begin with a shaky voice.…You know how hard I've studied for my certification test…or in a stressed tone you said,…"The light had just barely turned yellow…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Deciding when to begin or delay the message
- Presenting information
- Getting support for ideas
- Understanding the audience
- Communicating internally and externally
- Choosing the appropriate language and tone
- Using business writing outlines and templates
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Deciding the Strategy
2. Analyzing the Situations
3. Analyzing the Audience
Understanding audience needs3m 34s
4. Determining the Correct Written Channel
5. Strategy Specifics
6. Choosing the Language
7. Strategy Outlines
8. Templates for Common Writing Strategies
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.