Changing careers is a big deal—it can be difficult and risky. You also know that when done right, it will be well worth your time, energy, and effort. This video will help you determine if you really are ready to make that change.
- You may have noticed that I'm not a judge in a courtroom.…That's what I thought I was going to be…when I began college, and that's what I was working towards…for many years as a paralegal.…What changed for me?…Law school.…I hated it.…It wasn't for me.…There were many people whom I attended law school with…who also hated it but stuck it out,…and now they're in jobs they hate.…Whether you're on the path to a career you're unsure of,…spending thousands of dollars on an education…for a career you don't want,…or are smack dab in the middle of a career…that no longer fits you,…being mentally ready to make the change is half the battle.…
Many of the people I coach through a career change…are really just looking for permission…or confirmation that what they've decided is okay.…They know they're unhappy,…and they're trying to find the right time…to tell everyone else.…Alternatively, if you're not sure you're ready yet,…it's okay to decide you're not ready now.…Instead create a plan so you can see…the light at the end of the tunnel.…
- Recognize what you can do to become ready to transition into a new career.
- Explain what you could do if you know what job you want but just aren’t sure you meet the qualifications to obtain it.
- Recall what it requires to get on the right path if you are sure you’re in the wrong career.
- Recognize how feedback can help you with your decision to change your career.
- Identify what internal networking at your current job has to do with making a career change and leaving that job.