Join Paul Nowak for an in-depth discussion in this video Read the material, part of Learning Speed Reading.
- In this video, we are simply building…on concepts we've previously learned.…Specifically, the preview and overview.…- If you recall, the Preview is the first step…where you read the introduction and conclusion.…The Overview is the second step where you read…all the headings and bold-faced words or the first…sentences of each paragraph, which leads us naturally…to our third and most important step: the Read.…In other words, let's read the material…that we've been getting familiar with.…This is a three-step reading strategy called…the Multiple-Reading Process: Preview, Overview, Read.…
Think about the way most people read.…A lot of people start from the beginning and read in a…very linear way to the end, but you don't have…to read all material this way.…In fact, reading this way is part…of the reason why people read slowly.…If you don't know what to expect from the material,…you're going to have to read it slower.…Imagine the alternative.…If you start by reading the intro and…conclusion, and then proceed to read all…
The course then focuses on improving comprehension by understanding how memory works, practicing the "read and recall" method, and breaking down technical terms. The final chapter introduces some advanced tips and strategies for reading different types of media: news and magazine articles, textbooks, technical material, and ebooks.
- Measuring your reading speed
- Reading faster on the computer
- Reading groups of words
- Previewing and overviewing
- Improving comprehension and retention
- Understanding the 80/20 principle of reading
- Reading magazines, textbooks, diagrams, and ebooks