To keep managers and their companies out of trouble, Don Phin discusses what are and what are not considered appropriate interview questions to keep you out of legal trouble.
- Don't you wish you could go into a job interview…and ask the job applicant any questions you want?…Like what their age might be?…Or family structure is?…Or financial status is?…Well, you can't.…Equal Employment Opportunity laws,…disability laws, privacy laws, retaliation laws,…and dozens of other laws apply…to the hiring process.…As a result, it would be illegal in most circumstances…to ask somebody's age, national origin,…religion, marital status, whether they have a disability,…whether they have ever previously filed…a worker comp claim, and other questions…that may come within the protections created…by these laws.…
The EEOC states that information requested…through the pre-employment process should be limited…to what is essential for determining…if a person is qualified for the job.…Information regarding race, sex, national origin,…age, and religion are considered irrelevant…in such determinations unless there's a unique…business reason justifying it.…Employers are also explicitly prohibited…from making pre-offer inquiries…
DISCLAIMER: This course addresses US law concepts that may not apply in all countries. LinkedIn (including Lynda.com) and the instructor are not giving legal advice. Neither Linkedin (including Lynda.com) nor the instructor represent you. The information conveyed through this course is similar to a college or law school course; it is not intended to give legal advice, but instead to communicate information to help viewers understand the basics of the topic presented. The views and legal interpretations presented in this course do not necessarily represent the views of LinkedIn or Lynda.com.
- How job descriptions matter when it comes to the law
- Offer letters, contracts, and agreements
- Questions you can't ask job applicants
- Test and assessment instruments
- Managing employee leave
- Harassment and discrimination laws
- Handling bullies in the workplace
- Employee discipline