Join Whitney Johnson for an in-depth discussion in this video Protecting your intellectual property, part of Entrepreneurship Foundations.
- Intellectual property, commonly referred to as IP,…is an important legal consideration for all start-ups.…Now, before you say intellectual property…is only about patents, which I used to do,…consider these questions posed by IP expert,…Jill Hubbard Bowman.…What if you pick a name for your business…that infringes on someone else's trademark?…Or you haven't filed for protection…of your own great brand names?…What if you've hired an independent…website and logo designer?…Have they assigned the rights over to you?…What if your website code incorporates…open-source code that has licensing restrictions?…Intellectual property actually covers…an array of legal ownership claims,…which include five basic types.…
The first is trade secrets.…These are defined as confidential information…that gives a business its competitive edge.…Trade secrets can include business plans,…customer lists, pricing, designs, or procedures.…At launch, you'll want to make sure…that neither you nor your employees…are using unauthorized IP from a former employer.…
- Cite the steps that can help you find an unmet need.
- Differentiate between a business and a hobby.
- Recognize how to decide between an online business and a brick and mortar business.
- Describe how to protect your intellectual property.
- Explain the best practices for hiring the right people.
- Recall the importance of tapping into networks of expertise.
- Cite the best practices for building a business website.
- Summarize the best metrics to use for your online business.
Skill Level Intermediate
Management Foundations (2013)with Britt Andreatta2h 9m Intermediate
1. Finding Your Big Idea
2. Starting Your Business
3. Building a Team
4. Marketing Your Business
5. Scaling Your Business
6. Funding Growth
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.