Join John Romero for an in-depth discussion in this video Protecting a company when founders leave, part of Start Your Own Game Company with John Romero.
- One of the problems that people…who start companies without really knowing…all the logistics around company formation,…and stock, and ownership, and stuff.…If you don't know a lot about it's a…really good idea to get a lawyer to protect yourself…from things happening with the stock and the company,…because people will have certificates…that say that they own a certain amount of stock,…especially the founders of the company.…And if somebody leaves,…if you decide that you've got to…get rid of a founder or somebody just has to go,…maybe they have to leave because…they have to get out of the country,…because they have to move to another country,…because their parents are sick or something.…
The way that you kind of need to…look at the company is that it's an entity…that is separate from you and your founders.…It's the thing that is more important than you individually,…all of you.…So, when you look at it that way,…it makes you decide how can we protect this thing?…Because when you create games,…and you're creating intellectual property…
For a different perspective on breaking into the game industry, check out the interview with John's wife and creative partner, Brenda Romero, in our Insights with a Game Designer course.
- Creating a business plan for a game design company
- Registering a business
- Understanding the costs of running a game company
- Getting funding from publishers and investors
- Keeping a game company going and growing
- Handling payroll and HR
- Hiring game development contractors
- Developing original intellectual property (IP)
Skill Level Beginner
Animation Foundations: Fundamentalswith George Maestri42m 28s Beginner
Game Design Careers with Brenda Romerowith Brenda Romero54m 41s Beginner
1. Company Formation
2. Funding and Costs
4. Contracts and Legal Paperwork
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.