If you have proprietary methods and materials, you need to protect them. Clearly specify in the contract who owns what after the engagement is done. Most contracts state that work you do on a consulting engagement is "work made for hire," in which case the client owns 100% of it. Know how to keep your intellectual property from falling victim to being taken because it's considered "work product."
- If you have proprietary methods and materials,…you need to protect them.…Clearly specify in the contract who owns what…after the project.…Most contracts state that work you do on a consulting…engagement is work made for hire, in which case the client…owns all of it once the project is done.…Know how to keep your intellectual property from falling…victim to being taken because it's considered work product.…You can designate your methods as pre-existing content…and stipulate that you retain ownership…of it after the project.…
An exception will be if you make work product that contains…the pre-existing content.…The client will want a royalty-free right to continue…using it as part of the work product you delivered.…Even if you retain ownership, beware of terms like…perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free rights to reuse…and redistribute your pre-existing content.…Some contracts are going to have that language in them.…We had one client where we were licensing…them one of our classes.…
We said they could teach the class within a specific…
- Working as a consultant
- Generating revenue as a consultant
- Cost structures, pricing, finances, and taxes
- Marketing and selling consulting services
- Negotiating and contracting
- Working with clients
- Presenting findings to clients
- Implementing recommendations
- Managing legal issues
- Insuring a business
- Getting licensed and certified
Skill Level Beginner
Understanding Intellectual Propertywith Dana Robinson1h 31m Appropriate for all
1. Define Your Consulting Business
2. Marketing and Selling
3. Contract and Protect Yourself
4. Run the Consulting Engagement
5. Handle Administration
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.