Learn how to control the beeps, buzzes, vibrations, and notifications that steal your focus. Dave Crenshaw invites you to turn off your notifications and turn on your calendar to protect your focus. Use a calendar to schedule recurring reminders of when to check your email, voicemails, notifications, social media, and more.
- Many people wonder if technology is making us distracted.…If it's the culprit behind us losing focus.…In reality, technology is not the problem…rather it's our improper use of technology.…For instance, think of all the notifications…that you get during your day.…You get notifications when a text message comes in…or an email arrives or someone wants to chat with you…or your app or even the game that you're playing…is letting you know you have more lives.…All of these notifications are…constantly assaulting your focus.…
Then intent behind them is to make you more productive…but in reality it's causing you to constantly switch…and pay switching costs.…The solution to protecting your digital focus…is to simply use your calendar.…Turn off all the notifications that you possibly can…and instead just use this one tool, the calendar.…For example, email is constantly reminding you…whether it's on your phone or your desktop.…Turn off these notifications…on both the phone and the desktop…and create a regularly scheduled appointment…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Maintaining focus for longer periods of time
- Using your calendar to preserve focus
- Building a mental firewall
- Establishing expectations and boundaries
- Making time for others
- Avoiding distractions in a digital world
- Improving your workspace