Learn how to control the beeps, buzzes, vibrations, and notifications that steal your focus. Dave Crenshaw invites you to turn off your notifications and turn on your calendar to protect your focus. Use a calendar to schedule recurring reminders of when to check your email, voicemails, notifications, social media, and more.
- Many people wonder if technology is making us distracted. If it's the culprit behind us losing focus. In reality, technology is not the problem rather it's our improper use of technology. For instance, think of all the notifications that you get during your day. You get notifications when a text message comes in or an email arrives or someone wants to chat with you or your app or even the game that you're playing is letting you know you have more lives. All of these notifications are constantly assaulting your focus.
Then intent behind them is to make you more productive but in reality it's causing you to constantly switch and pay switching costs. The solution to protecting your digital focus is to simply use your calendar. Turn off all the notifications that you possibly can and instead just use this one tool, the calendar. For example, email is constantly reminding you whether it's on your phone or your desktop. Turn off these notifications on both the phone and the desktop and create a regularly scheduled appointment on your calendar to check them.
This allows you to see all of your email but deal with it in a focused manner. Now how do you turn off notifications for your program? There are so many different apps that you could possibly be using so the best way to find the solution is to simply search for 'How to turn off notifications for your program'. The calendar is there to protect you. Use it appropriately and you will be able to check your email rather than email checking you.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Maintaining focus for longer periods of time
- Using your calendar to preserve focus
- Building a mental firewall
- Establishing expectations and boundaries
- Making time for others
- Avoiding distractions in a digital world
- Improving your workspace