In this video, Dave Crenshaw shares how to process all of the things gathered in your inbox. Allocate time to process the items in your inbox. Dave also shares his three-part question for every item in his inbox.
- In my Time Management Fundamentals course,…I talk about the importance of processing,…using what, when, where.…By what, when, where, I mean…what is the next step,…when will it be done,…and where is its home?…So in the last video, we talked about…gathering all these things…so that they don't steal your focus.…Now, what do we do with them?…They're in the inbox.…So what's the next step?…Processing is just another word for deciding.…We need to decide what to do with all of these items…that you put into your boxes.…
So we're going to first need some time weekly…to process, or decide, what to do with these items.…Most people can get this done in about five hours a week,…and that includes all the other stuff,…not just physical stuff but email.…Pick one item at a time out of that box.…And then ask yourself, what's the next step,…when will it done, and where is its home?…For example, let's say that I pull…an audio cord out of my inbox.…This cord used to be on the floor.…
Every time I walked into my office, it distracted me.…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Maintaining focus for longer periods of time
- Using your calendar to preserve focus
- Building a mental firewall
- Establishing expectations and boundaries
- Making time for others
- Avoiding distractions in a digital world
- Improving your workspace