Learn why a clear start and end time is necessary for your day and how to establish it. Learn how to avoid working as long as it takes to get something done by giving yourself a hard stop time.
- Would you be surprised if I told you…that pride actually creates a lack of focus?…What I mean by this is when I hear people…who pride themselves on their ability to work…as long as it takes to get the job done.…It means that they're a hard worker,…but this lack of an end point…actually creates interruptions.…It creates sloppy focus and allows for…lots of little distractions to enter into the day.…On the other side, if you limit the hours that you work,…it will actually force you to be more focused.…
I work with a business owner,…who when we first started,…was working over 60 hours a week.…Now, she works under 20 hours a week,…is more productive than she's ever been,…and more happy as well.…The way that we're going to accomplish this…is by thinking about your work day like a race.…In a race there's a clear start line and finish line.…In your day, we also want to have a clear…starting time and finishing time.…
This creates a clear boundary…where you know you have to operate…within these hours and be as productive…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Discover multiple strategies to improve your focus.
- Protect your ability to focus by learning to use technology intelligently.
- Analyze how to process new tasks economically.
- Avoid distractions in a digital world.
- Learn how to make time for others.
- Identify how to build a mental firewall to sustain focus.
- Define clear boundaries and expectations.
- Assess how and when you prioritize tasks.