Join Bob McGannon for an in-depth discussion in this video Promoting value internationally, part of Managing International Projects.
- I was once visiting a friend, and made…some of my favorite peanut caramel clusters…to bring along as a gift.…After I arrived at his house, I excitedly…placed the treats on the table after dinner,…saying, "We can share this little delicacy…of mine as a dessert".…Instead of getting the response I had hoped,…I got a very disappointed look as my friend told me…he had developed an allergy to nuts,…and needed to steer clear of my gift.…The lesson here is, what is perceived as…a valuable thing to one person, may be very…different to another.…
On any project, outcomes can be viewed…differently by each team of stakeholders.…When it comes to international projects,…the differences in the perception of value…will be even more dramatic.…All of your stakeholders will be acutely aware…of the value they are looking to obtain from the project.…So, understanding your stakeholders is the key…to getting them all on the same page.…Encourage open discussion and negotiation of value.…Consider that stakeholders need to be treated differently…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Communicating across borders
- Bridging time zones and language gaps
- Finding and nurturing management "champions"
- Evaluating your communication style
- Keeping international projects on track