Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Identifying the real problem
- Generating possible solutions
- Boosting your creativity
- Using your intuition and logic
- Selecting the best solution
- Considering implementation
Skill Level Beginner
- Problem solving is vital in all aspects of business from people problems to technical problems and from short-term to long-term problems. And problem-solving involves two completely different, possibly conflicting thought processes: creativity and decision making. The first part, the creativity, is to generate options, possible solutions, and then the second part, the decision making is to select the best one. Somehow, you need to be good at both parts, the creating and the selecting.
And as we'll see, part of the trick is to use both parts of your brain for both of the stages. So for the creative part of the process, you would use both logic and intuition. And then for selecting the best option, the decision making part, you would also use logic and intuition. My name's Chris and I started out life as an engineer. I think I might have been born one. So I started on technical problems before going on to management and having to deal with more with people problems and system problems.
Now I get more involved in customer problems, commercial problems and marketing problems. I should probably call them opportunities because every problem that comes up is a chance for all of us to improve what we do. I also have to sort out my own IT and keep my wife happy as well as travel through foreign airports and deal with many of the problems of my kids, or at least the most difficult ones which they can't sort out themselves. So problem solving is something that never goes away.
One thing's for sure, whatever you do you'll always have problems to solve. And this course will help with all of them because there are all sorts of techniques you can learn and use to increase your creativity and to improve your decision making. So it's an important and fascinating area and you can learn to be good at it. Let's get started.