Setting prices can be tricky. You have to ensure you make enough to cover the times you're not making any money because you're not on a project. You also need a pricing model that makes sense, whether it's fee-for-service or project-based. The pricing model should be consistent across clients, comparable to competitive offerings, and have flexibility to offer discounts and promotions.
- Setting prices is tricky.…You have to ensure you make enough money…when you're delivering services…to cover the times you're not making any money…because you're selling…or you're doing administrative work…and you're not on a project.…Your pricing model must make sense,…whether it's project-based or fee for service.…The model should be consistent across clients,…comparable to competitive offerings,…and have flexibility to offer discounts or promotions.…
With a fee for service model,…that's where you're getting paid on an hourly…or daily basis.…This is a good model if you're not sure…how long a project is going to take.…If scope grows, so does revenue.…The downside is, you're at fixed rate.…You can only bill for eight hours a day.…A lot of people come to me and ask,…how do I set my hourly rate?…I learned a great formula a long time ago.…Somebody told me when I was in corporate…that I should take my total cash compensation,…so it was my salary plus my bonus,…multiply that number by three,…then divide that number by 250,…
- Working as a consultant
- Generating revenue as a consultant
- Cost structures, pricing, finances, and taxes
- Marketing and selling consulting services
- Negotiating and contracting
- Working with clients
- Presenting findings to clients
- Implementing recommendations
- Managing legal issues
- Insuring a business
- Getting licensed and certified
Skill Level Beginner
Understanding Intellectual Propertywith Dana Robinson1h 31m Appropriate for all
1. Define Your Consulting Business
2. Marketing and Selling
3. Contract and Protect Yourself
4. Run the Consulting Engagement
5. Handle Administration
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.