Join Paul Nowak for an in-depth discussion in this video Preview the material, part of Speed Reading Fundamentals.
- Most people read everything from beginning to end.…In this lesson, I'd like to change…the way you think about reading.…Wouldn't it be easier to read something if you…were already somewhat familiar with the information?…Most people would agree with that,…but most of the time before we start reading…we aren't familiar with the material.…I mean, that's the whole point of reading, right?…To get familiar with new information.…But before you start reading that new…information from beginning to end,…you should get an idea of what you are about to read.…This is where the preview reading technique will help you.…Simply put, the preview provides you…with a general idea of what the reading…material will be about.…
Here's how you would do it in different…types of materials.…Let's say you were reading a simple one page article.…You could preview it by simply reading…the first sentence of each paragraph.…Since the first sentences tend to be the main ideas,…reading the first sentences first,…would allow you to get all the main points initially.…
The course then focuses on improving comprehension by understanding how memory works, practicing the "read and recall" method, and breaking down technical terms. The final chapter introduces some advanced tips and strategies for reading different types of media: news and magazine articles, textbooks, technical material, and ebooks.
- Measuring your reading speed
- Reading faster on the computer
- Reading groups of words
- Previewing and overviewing
- Improving comprehension and retention
- Understanding the 80/20 principle of reading
- Reading magazines, textbooks, diagrams, and ebooks