No matter what your vision and plan are, it's likely you may need support from others. Identify who you need support from and prepare for these important conversations.
- How many people do you interact with…during any given week?…Between team members, direct reports, and vendors,…who we communicate with is a big component…of getting our job done.…How we influence others, especially when…we may not have formal authority,…can make all the difference…in getting what we need and want…when it comes to our careers.…Our career growth often depends…on the number of other influencers…that can open doors for us.…It could be a manager advocating for our promotion,…a coworker giving feedback to higher-ups…about our aptitude, or even a friend…being a reference for us,…all of which require us to have important conversations…and knowing who to have them with.…
When you think about your career goals,…whose support do you need?…A great starting place is to make a list…of all of the people that can support you and your goals.…Identify what specifically you need from them and by when.…In most cases, your direct manager will be a key resource,…but you may also find that you could benefit…from support from others in your professional network…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Define how the workplace has changed.
- Discover how to create a career vision.
- Prepare to create short- and long-term goals.
- Identify resources to succeed in your career goals.