Learn how to prepare before you arrive. Who are the people? Learn a little bit about each person so they feel important when you meet them. What's the history of the project so far? What can you contribute? Treat it like a job interview so you are ready and you can immediately contribute, or at least say what you plan to contribute.
- If you're going to join a new team or take up a new role,…there will be a lot to learn,…both about the job itself and about how the team works.…And this process can be made much easier if you do…some preparation before you start the job.…In fact, it would show respect to your new workmates…if you've done some preparation,…just as it does if you prepare for a job interview.…So, the two areas to prepare are the job…and the people.…In terms of the job, find out as much as you can…about the history of the project,…the key issues in the department,…and problems that they've had or are having.…
You don't need to come with solutions.…In fact, you would probably upset them…if you came swarming in saying that you can solve everything…as if they're fools who have been unable to do it…up till now.…But good knowledge of the issues, why it's difficult,…what's already being tried,…how you can contribute, that would be useful.…And of course, as well as the job situation,…if there are skills or knowledge that are going to be useful…
- Why we dislike change
- Planning for change
- Developing mental toughness
- Maximizing your interpersonal skills
- Setting long-term career goals
- Pushing yourself out of your comfort zone
- What to consider if you're thinking of leaving your job
- Building up your network
- How to be low maintenance employee
- Establishing goals and plans with a new boss
- How to deal with a bad boss
Skill Level Beginner
1. Understand and Prepare for Change
4. New Initiatives or Mergers
5. New Roles, Teams, and Location
The benefits of a new role3m 25s
6. New Boss
Next steps1m 25s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.