Learn how positioning yourself to the market will be the leading factor in what business you attract, how clients perceive you, and ultimately, your profitability. If you're a solo consultant, this is your marketing messaging. If you work for a consulting firm, this is your reputation and your bio.
- How many times has someone asked, what do you do,…and you respond with, I'm a consultant.…And then there's kind of an awkward silence…before the other person says, oh, cool.…It happens all the time…because just saying consultant is kind of vague.…No one knows what it means.…Positioning yourself as a consultant…could mean anything from I have a seven figure solo practice…to I do a little social media advising on the side.…To be successful in the world of consulting…you'll need to position yourself…as more than just a consultant.…
A lot of consultants believe…that positioning yourself means highlighting…an area of expertise, like I'm a marketing consultant…or I'm a sales consultant.…And while that's better than a generic consultant,…in order to truly differentiate…you'll need to position yourself…in terms of the impact you have or would like to have…on your clients.…The more specificity here the better.…Your positioning gives you a chance to highlight…what makes you unique as a consultant.…For example, if you're an IT consultant,…
- Determine the best self-positioning statement for you.
- Explain how to establish the value.
- Describe how to hold a kickoff meeting.
- Summarize the importance of a wrap meeting.
- Explain how to navigate changing relationships.
- Recognize the value of an internal referral.