A successful consultant effectively delivers against the objectives of his/her engagement, but also positions themselves for engagements in the future. This video presents guidelines to assist you in designing and landing that next engagement with your client.
- Ever think you've found a new friend,…you go to their place for dinner,…then don't get invited back?…I hate when that happens.…Finishing up your consulting engagement…is like that dinner, because it usually includes…the hope that you'll be invited back.…Let me be clear, you need to focus…on ensuring you deliver the obligations…you have with your current engagement,…but there are things you can do to help you get invited back…to do more work for your client.…First, consistently learn more…about your client and their business.…
Most consulting engagements involve understanding…several of your clients business processes.…Read and study beyond what you absolutely need to know…for your current engagement and…note any questions you may have.…Then, sketch out potential improvements…that you can review with your client…as you wind down your current work.…Second, share ideas for potential improvements you discover.…In fact, I recommend drafting some high level plans…and sharing those with your client.…
Yes, I'm suggesting you consider…
- Identify the critical requirements needed to become a successful consultant.
- Review the roles a consultant can fulfill to increase their success when dealing with clients.
- Recognize approaches for assessing your success level with a client before you've received a formal evaluation.
- Explore how to switch between consulting roles without confusing or aggravating your client.
- Review the change management conditions that must be in place to successfully deploy your consulting solutions.
- Identify the actions that maximize your chances for future work with a client.